20070110

Back in the saddle

So the Christmas crazyness is over. Thank heavens because there are a few things I just can't stand anymore!

  • Saying "Sorry, we are sold out."
  • Saying "Sorry, all our branches are sold out."
  • Saying "I can only get you a copy of the book in January."
  • Saying "No, there is no way Amazon will be able to deliver to South Africa by Christmas (which is 5 days away)."
  • Saying "Yes, we had hundreds of copies last week."
  • Smiling.
  • I am quite sick of booze. I am wined out.
  • Holiday traffic - cars and humans.
  • Spending far to much money.
  • Eating.

It feels good to get back to important varsity work and leave the book store behind. On my first day back in my little office, I realise that there are a few things I just can't stand anymore.

  • The massive amount of neglected emails that have piled up.
  • The massive amount of work that awaits me.
  • The fact that my elbows get sore from leaning on the desk while I type and read.
  • First year students that don't leave me alone - do I look like I can enrol you?
  • Hunting for fund money.
  • Overdue library books.
  • Printers and scanners that don't want to work properly.
  • That the coffee shop has hiked their prices by R3 per cup!
  • That it is a perfect beach day and I can't go.

To be honest, I take the varsity irritations over the bookshop any day as long as I can have a serving of the beach and sunset cocktails at Camps Bay with friends on the side.


16 comments:

twanji said...

Too much wine? - have you lost your mind?! There is no such thing.
Though I am glad X-mas is over too! It has to be one of the most traumatic times of the year.

I am trying to figure out what a first-year thinks you can possibly do to enrol them at the university... Evidently there are reasons why they were denied access in the first place.

Good to see you back online!

Anonymous said...

I had two weeks of e-mails to get through too. Glad you're back!!!! I left you an answer to what a Buckeye was back at your last comment. I love learning about stuff I don't know from your side of the world. Hang in there and remember the Beach-it awaits you!

AristoNeeks said...

i know EXACTLY what you mean.

*sigh*

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I am currently reading Middlesex. I am not far into it, but so far it is o.k.

Trundling Grunt said...

I'm shocked by the "too much wine" comment. I ran those words through my fried brain several times but they make no sense at all. Can you explain?

Such a view - I am deeply envious.

THE MERKIN MAN said...

That looks lovely. I'm coming over.

Karen Little said...

I'm tired.... It's less than two weeks into the year, and I'm pooped!

Don't exactly know why I'm posting this on your blog...

Polyman3 said...

So much to do- so little time.
Got to get used to that feeling;
it gets worse the older you get.
Sometimes there doesn't seem to be enough time in the day.

But don't neglect the wine.
Happy trails.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wendy said...

What you ALL fail to realise is that I really really really over did the wine thing over the last few weeks. Remember, I live in the wine belt, so it has been visits to wine farms every other day and drinks with friends and family on the days not at wine farms. BUT FEAR NOT! I had a glass last night...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pendullum said...

Thank you for that last beautiful image...
and here I sit inside and there is snow outside my window...and allI can do is think of South Africa...

and then think??? nahhh... you can never be wined out!!!!

akika said...

I'll see you at varsity in a month or two - I'm doing my MSc with Judy. In the meantime, I'm updating the register at the museum [I saw you there a couple of times and once in Paarl, though I'm sure you don't remember] and we've got you down as Wendy Konstantellos. Is that the name you'd prefer? I know you're sometimes Wendy Black.
Unfortunately I don't have your email, so I'm glad my sister found your blog. You can leave a reply on mine: autumnalakika.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Yeah, I couldn't stand the people who couldn't make up their minds about what to buy their agter-kleinniggies for Xmas. January brings its own woes: shoppers bearing gift vouchers; shoppers returning Grisham's Innocent Man. I simply cannot believe that so many people received multiple copies of it. I think they just want the huge amount of money that it cost to spend on something else.

Mmm... Kampsbaai... I cannot wait for February to come!

AristoNeeks said...

why is january always so full of ... DEBT??

*sigh*

LZ Blogger said...

What a GREAT looking picture! ~ jb///