20070528

I visited Mordor, Gotham and Gandalf's

As a teenager, more than a decade ago, I never considered myself a full-on Goth but I did partake in many of the cultural habits. I often dressed in nothing but black, only wore docks, had the long straight hair, adorned my eyes in black eyeliner and carried the appropriate morbid expression of leave-me-alone-life-sucks. Those days are long gone, although some elements like the docks and Depeche Mode remain.

Two weeks ago, after a substantial amount of margarita, a friend and I decided to take a trip down memory lane and go to the Goth club Mordor. It was closed, but Gotham next door was open. It was surprising how much I enjoyed the evening. The music, the darkness, the solitude dancing and the strangely pierced individuals brought back such memories and flooded my senses.

Last Saturday, we decided to go again. This time we went to an angels and demons party at a place called Gandalf's. It was an experience! There were very definite groups of people inside. The ultra pierced and spiked mingled carefully between men and women clad in corsets and fishnet stockings. The emo guys were huddled in the corner trying to be cool or hiding from the vicious head bangers giving themselves whiplash. Then there were those (like me) not dressed to any goth style...I felt out of place. I didn't even have any appropriate accoutrement! Many people had horns and wings and whips and chains.

The music was hard core: A heavy metal trance (is that a genre?) amalgamation that was quite intoxicating and very, very loud. Not to my taste per se, but interesting. Very surprisingly, when the DJ played the Cure's 'Lovecats', a poppy remix of Soft Cell's 'Tainted love' and 'Sounds like a melody' by Alphaville everyone stayed and danced. I never saw that coming...

I had a lot of fun but in the end it was a bit much. I suppose I am not a Goth after all, although I could be temped into a corset.

10 comments:

missy said...

I could be talked into wearing a corset, too :-)

AristoNeeks said...

as soon as my bank balance allows, im getting a corset too.

i could never afford to be a goth.. i guess that means i never was one..

although, i had the life-sux-leave-me-alone look too... still do.

never had anyone to be gothie with either..

does that count?

Los said...

I never went through the Goth phase, but I have friends who are/were goth.

Unknown said...

Funny, I don't consider myself Goth at all (just look at me), but I do so like the music - Depeche Mode, The Cure, Soft Cell, Alphaville, these are bands I listen to every day. Goth-lite, anyone?

I'd like to see you in a spiky dog collar carrying a riding crop...

Anonymous said...

I left a comment yesterday, but it was eaten somehow.

I am now reminded of a great club I went to in Chicago one year many ago. This place was like a world unto it's own. I would have liked to disappear in there. Dark corners and hideaways, trippy looking peeps, loud awesome music.

I am so far from that now! Wife, kids, minivan-yikes!

DJ Kirkby said...

ah Depeche Mode, now that brings back memories! LOVE your profile pic!

Anonymous said...

One of the coolest club experiences I had was at a gay goth club in Ohio. LOL! Picture that if you will :D

mike said...

Oh, I am so looking forward to going back to Burn this holiday... I haven't been in so long. I know exactly what you mean, about how just going there for something different can actually be so much fun.

But I've never dressed gothic to go out... just emo, really. And I don't even do that any more. I'm much more into my indie now. I wish we had indie clubs in Durban. Are there any in Cape Town or Johannesburg, I wonder?

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed the first posting of 'Adventures of a wild hippie child'. Please do me a favour and go to http://wildhippiechild.blogspot.com/ , have a read and let me know whether this series has any 'legs'. The stories are too personal and I can't assess the idea (or my writing about it), objectivly

twanji said...

Oh my word. I cannot believe that you admitted to attending these venues online! Ha ha. I too have attended goth clubs dressed like Joseph's Technicolor Dreamcoat. I must say, all things considered, they are a very welcoming bunch.