20070701

80's revival - Part I

"Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the quantum leap accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on his journey is Al, an observer from his own time who appears in the form of a hologram that only Sam can see and hear. And so Dr. Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping that each time, his next leap, will be the leap home." *

I have recently completed watching the 5 seasons of this superb 80's show (it only took me a year!). I loved it when I was younger and could not resist purchasing the DVD’s when they were released. I am always apprehensive when reliving anything produced in the 80's because inevitably I enjoyed it so much more (and was very impressed) 20 years ago. I am happy to report that although the show was a little dated and perhaps a bit banal, it was still fantastic!

Donald P. Bellisario (creator of Magnum P.I., Airwolf, JAG and countess other TV. hits) outdid himself when he brought together hunky Scott Bakula (Sam) and charming Dean Stockwell (Al) to create this unique-for-its-time science fiction series.

You are not going to find show details here. There are enough fan websites to keep you updated. You can even attend the Quantum Leap convention in 2009 if you are that way inclined.

There are a few things I found interesting... The show’s future is set in the late 1990’s. It is quite funny to see what people thought our future would look like. We were supposed to be wearing hideously colourful, strangely shaped (and sometimes flashing) clothing and drive cars that sound like my washing machine and look like a Dolorian with added horizontal hood lights.

Granted, the show has a fairly pedestrian theme but it’s such a wonderful trip through American history (1950’s – 1980’s), how can you not love it? You get to see Sam “leap into” and influence the lives of men and women, some famous (Elvis Presley, Lee Harvey Oswald, Marilyn Munroe) and some not so famous. As a viewer, you also get to experience the shows social commentary and nostalgia through major historical events.

It’s just such a feel good show with classic script writing, lots of humour, blatant gender discrimination and good triumphing over evil every time. No wonder it has a cult following!

* A spoken introduction to the show that explains the series’ premise. In later seasons, the voice to this introduction is that of Ziggy, the supercomputer that runs Quantum Leap.

8 comments:

Los said...

Wow, Quantam Leap! I only watched it a few times, and it was pretty good each time.

My favorite 80's shows: Night Rider, Mr. Belvedere, Growing Pains, Cheers, Night Court, and The Cosby Show (sadly, probably only Cheers still sort of holds up).

twanji said...

Ha Ha! You really should focus your PHD on something to do with the 80's TV era. You are still hooked.

I know how much you love it, so I won't tease you about it - too love some 80's TV hits.

twanji said...

That should have read: I too love some 80's TV hits.

AristoNeeks said...

i really loved that show too.

**nostalgia**

did you also see something called Sliders?

Unknown said...

Now, why does Sliders sound familiar? What was it about? I can't believe somebody else also loved Night Court! Oh, and Benson, starring Robert Guillaume (voice of Rafiki in The Lion King, remember?)! And 227, that was great. Aww, I feel all nostalgic now.

Wendy said...

I loved Sliders! Same world in different dimensions - it was fantastic. I also loved Night Court but 227 was never really on my must see list.

robkroese said...

That was a good show. It was sort of an old-fashioned family show, with wholesome themes and almost no sex. Still, I liked it. :)

Unknown said...

At least 227 beats Webster anyday, for sure. I hate cute kids.