20070928

Surname celebration

I have been trying to change my surname for ages. I applied for the change in April 2006 and was told that it could take anything from 3 to 9 months for the paperwork to go through. 17 months later, I am still waiting. For academic purposes, I really need my new surname legalised and because of this, over the last year, I have contacted home affairs almost every week and pleaded, begged, lost my temper and begged some more in the hopes of getting this sorted out.

Today, miracle of miracles, not only did someone answer the phone, but someone helpful answered the phone! I was told that all I have to do is take my proof of payment for said change of surname (thank goodness I kept that for 17 months!!) to any home affairs office. I then need to fax this person a copy of the receipt (along with some other details) and she will pass it on to yet another person dedicated to dealing with just such problems. I have been told that my surname change will be sorted out within 2 days. Sounds unbelievable, huh? Well, I am very hopeful. So much so, that I have decided to celebrate the possibility with a dinner with good friends and a bottle of my favourite bubbly.


Not the greatest photo, I know, but I was in a hurry. This is a fabulous bottle of champagne. I know it says "sparkling" but it is made using the cap classique method, so it's legit. It is unusual because it is a proper red champagne, made from pinotage grapes. It is apparently very difficult to get bubbles in a heavy red wine without adding tons of sugar but Graham Beck has successfully created a gem. It is rather odd, as you might expect but it has a lovely berry palate with a heavy red wine follow through. It tastes just like a pinotage, with bubbles. It is not for everyone and some red wine fans don't really like it. It is difficult to assess this champagne because it is the only one of its kind that I have tasted (or seen?) so all I can tell you is that I love it! If you can find it, I recommend that you try it.

8 comments:

Andrew said...

I must concur that both the company and the champagne were excellent.

Unknown said...

I thought your surname change was all over with months ago! Hmmm... red champagne. We love Graham Beck. I wish I could celebrate with you, though I know I'd regret the headache in the morning!

missy said...

I love Pinotage :-)

AristoNeeks said...

erm... why are we changing our surname...?

i must be out of the loop again...

mike said...

Ooooh, I love champagne. So very much! But usually I prefer white... I shall keep an eye out for this one though, and try it. It'll probably only happen next year, though, when I have a little more money to burn :)

twanji said...

YAY! It was great champagne.
It's amazing how much there really is in a name.

Anonymous said...

That is a big event! Glad you have a reason to celebrate. I am doing so with cigars now for surviving another day of teaching.

Trundling Grunt said...

I'm with Neko - confused. Why the change of name?

Round here good SA wine is hard to find and I don't remember seeing that. But I will look harder.