20080626

What I want most

More than a decade ago I was privileged enough to taste and fall in love with that sweet, precious nectar that is: Le Petit Liquorelle Petillante. This special 200ml drop bottle of rich amber champagne liqueur was first made by Moet and Chandon in the 1980's. It's composition is a guarded secret but apparently it's a clever blend and fermentation of champagne and brandy. After a process that takes many years, a delectable and ever-so-slightly-bubbly liqueur is produced.

To my horror and disgust, this wonderful drink was discontinued in the mid 1990's and I have been without ever since. I have often kept track of the sale of a lonely bottle here and there on eBay and recently found 9 bottles for sale from a reputable cellar in Spain - way out of reach and price range! Each bottle is priced at a mere 16 Euros, which is more than affordable. The postage per bottle to South Africa, however, is 32 Euros which puts the cost per bottle at around R600. I found these precious bottles a few days ago and have been dreaming about that taste (I can remember it as if I had a sip yesterday) ever since. The only thing keeping me from purchasing a bottle or two or three is a short mantra: "I have rent to pay, I have rent to pay, I have rent to pay."

If you are ever lucky enough to find, buy and enjoy one of these rare treasures of bottled poetry, be sure to have one small sip in honour of those who will never taste that sweet, decadent pleasure and to those who might never taste it again.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, that does sound nice. I have turned into quite the red wine drinker because of this blog and its author.

twanji said...

Yay! Wendy is back... with a makeover. I got the makeover sorted, as for the posts - I am working on that!

Miss you friend!

morbidneko said...

i was half-expecting "world peace".

^_^

il look out for this one, although i'm not really a fan of wine (blasphemy on this blog, perhaps?)

i probably haven't met the right bottle yet.

Karen Little said...

Hey! You changed it all! Looks cool... and sounds yummy :)

eves said...

like the new look... and the topic. always been a fan of the red stuff.

Trundling Grunt said...

Cool. I have never heard of this stuff and it sounds really quite intriguing.

Unknown said...

OMG how i love and miss this we little bottle!!! and i love your comment ...."
If you are ever lucky enough to find, buy and enjoy one of these rare treasures of bottled poetry, be sure to have one small sip in honour of those who will never taste that sweet, decadent pleasure and to those who might never taste it again." could not of said it better myself .i used to enjoy this with several friends regularly back in the day
had trouble posting hope i did not double post