20061007

20


I was tagged by Karen and in true blog spirit, I comply by offering 20 random things about me.


1. I am a born and bred South African.

2. I lived in New York for 3 years during my teens. I loved it and would go back in a heartbeat if I could.

3. I am currently slogging through my PhD in Archaeology.

4. I have a cat. Her name is Penelope. She unfortunately doesn't live with me at the moment; she stays with Grandma. She is black and fluffy with bright green eyes and a has real bitchy personality.

5. I like dogs too. Bulldogs & border collies (sheep dogs).

6. I work part-time in a local bookshop.

7. It is here that I am able to feed my appetite for books and religiously read 4 magazines: Time, National Geographic, Empire & Longevity. In that order.

8. I hate those fashion girly magazines.

9. I am highly allergic to any stimulant. Yes, that includes caffeine. And yes, of course I love coffee and chocolates. You always want what you can't have.

10. I have my best ideas in the shower.

11. I have never been married but have had 4 different surnames.

12. I love my Doctor Martens boots or 'Docs'. My first pair I had for 15 years but eventually had to let them go. They were falling apart. I recently bought a new pair while in London because I just can't do without them.

13. I have the travel bug. I always want to add to the list of places I have visited.

14. I hate Iceberg lettuce. It tastes like sand. Why does every restaurant insist on using it when there are such nicer varieties available?

15. The sport I participate in: archery. The sports I love to watch: baseball & formula 1.

16. I support the New York Yankees & McLaren (don't even metion that red team).

17. I am an avid photographer - SLR (film) & Digital. The 2 best photo's I ever took were of a desert dune in Namibia & the light hitting the Alta Fjord in Norway.

18. When I am stressed I misplace things. I have found the sugar in the fridge, my car keys with my toothbrush and my cell phone in the laundry basket.

19. I always buy myself a Christmas present. While writing this post I bought the new Depeche Mode Touring the Angel dvd on-line. It will go under the tree. I also wanted to buy the 3 new remastered collector's albums but £40 is way over budget. Any donations?

20. I have attended 4 primary schools, 5 high schools and 3 universities.

And just for interest sake... I had an argument with a woman in the grocery store yesterday. She was swapping small sized eggs with jumbo sized eggs in order to pay less for her regular dozen (a whole R2 / $0.30). I (very nicely) accused her of stealing and she went ballisitc. Just goes to show you that everything has to do with the price of eggs.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Yup, the muse also visits me whilst naked and wet. I've actually thought of putting a whiteboard in the shower, 'cause the brilliant ideas are always gone as soon as the vapour on the mirror clears.

I cannot believe you're gonna wait until Chrimbo before you open the dM DVDs! I'm gonna watch mine as soon as the pretty little package arrives in my post box.

twanji said...

Human decency is obviously optional these days - swapping eggs should be illegal.
I would be so embarrassed - how do people gather the courage to do these incredibly cheap things ... in public?
Gabrielle Solis and the cast of Days of our Lives are the only individuals entitled egg-swapping priviledges.
Nice list BTW :)

Unknown said...

A PhD in Archaeology... wow!

xx

mike said...

Travelling is cool. I often sit and go through the photos I took on my travels. :)

Anonymous said...

haha! The cellphone in the laundry huh? I never heard about that one...you kept it very quiet didn't you. hmmmm

Karen Little said...

Thanks for playing! That woman was such an idiot! How cheapskate can you get?

humph.

Anonymous said...

How do you get different surnames without marriage? I am not into baseball, but being from Michigan, the Tigers are all the rage now that they have beatent the Yankees. Sorry :( My best ideas come in a wierd dream like way. I am half asleep and half dreaming. I need to keep a pad of paper by the bed. Only once did I capitalize on one of my ideas (not lucrative however).

AristoNeeks said...

UNBELIEVABLE!

i dont know you and we have SO MUCH in common!

i have my best ideas in the shower too. weird.

do give us a list of all the places you've been! top of my list is THE EAST. and then EUROPE. vague is good. vague equals many possibilities...

great list!

Trundling Grunt said...

The bath, the shower, and driving too and from work. I was wondering if I could have a bath put in my office.

This meme was hard, wasn't it? I did it tonight.

Wendy said...

EOH: I have to wait until x-mas to open the Mute pressie otherwise I will just spend more money on myself...

Wreckless: The surname thing is long and complicated to explain. It has a lot to do with changing fathers. I may blog about it one day.

Neko: Namibia, Mozambique, Switzerland, Norway, New York, London, Dubai (does the airport count?).

Trundling Grunt: Yes it was! At 17 I had no idea what else to say!

Anonymous said...

Hey show us your favorite pics! Also tell us about Norway. Living vicareously on your travels.

Art_Fulldodger said...

Yankee's.... So sorry. But I would love to go to NYC.

Dogs are probably the best of all pets. Love is unconditional for those little guys. We have two. A Brittany Spanial and a German Short Haired Pointer. Plus the assortment of cats of every color.

Doc Martins are nice and all, but try on a pair of Red Wings boots. You will never go back to Doc's after that.

Great list.

Polyman3 said...

I just sing in the shower,
no other thought processes.
But then again, you sound a hell
of a lot smarter than me.