20070228

Collecting

I never used to be a collector. This has changed somewhat over the last few years ever since I started to work in a book shop and met certain people. It was around this time that I began collecting books, trying to complete series' that I may never read. I am now trying to stop (who am I kidding, curb is a better word) collecting books because it's expensive and space consuming. Alas, my need to gather interesting goodies still persists and I need to replace one collection addiction with another. I have found two.

I recently discovered a very nice vinyl record store in Observatory - the student hang out in Cape Town. Revolution Records is a very well stocked time warp where anyone with an interest in any music genre can lose a few hours scanning old album covers and looking for that gem. It was here that I found some old and almost 'like new' Depeche Mode vinyls. I have bought the shop stock and am now on the hunt for the others. I must be honest though, I am a little weary of pursuing the vinyl path. I think it is huge! And, I am not the insane collector that needs to have every single thing ever put to vinyl....or maybe I am....


I have also started collecting unusual wine labels. This is a very clever new hobby. Not only do I satisfy the need to gather things, but I also get to drink and enjoy many bottles of interesting wine. There are some real strange wine labels out there. Funny, wierd, pretty and sometimes just insane.




So the next time you enjoy a bottle of wine and notice an unusual label, please peel it off for me and send it my way (steam works well). And don't be shy to send any DM vinyl that you want to get rid of too. Postal address on request....

12 comments:

twanji said...

I am so glad that collecting is something I have failed to contract from you - I would go nuts! But the wine label thing is really good - I approve!

mike said...

"Not only do I satisfy the need to gather things, but I also get to drink and enjoy many bottles of interesting wine."

I like this logic!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for labels. I've seen that fat bastard one before, and had a little chuckle. Have you seen the 'Tall Horse' wines? Their labels are pretty cool...

Anonymous said...

Ahhh!!!!!!!!You've got collectivitus! Beware it is hard to kill, curb or ameliorate in any way.
I recently found an old record store with an insane amount of old vinyl. I nearly got sucked in and after a while I had to run-I know myself too well. I am also poor.
I just read an article about crazily named wines. Even though I am not a wine drinker, there is a store near my house that I will gladly peruse for you the next time I pick up a six. At least wine labels could be decorative and are not space hogs.

Art_Fulldodger said...

Ok so what kind of old vinyl do you like? I have two huge milk crates filled with old 60's 70's stuff I inherited from my brother and sister. We dont even own a record player. We have stuff like The monkees, Elton John, Stones, The Who, and a bunch of misc stuff.

fatwonkkid said...

we bought fat bastard once. the reason my wife gave me was because it was named "fat bastard". i recall it being somewhat tasty.

Anonymous said...

https://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=508
Try this link for some new DM vinyl. When I was at UCT in the 80's there used to be a great record shop in Rondebosch, which allowed you to borrow records for (illegal)taping.

Unknown said...

Don't blame me for your expensive new hobby! I'm definitely not a vinyl-collecting kinda guy. Especially not with dM - it's a dark, scary road to travel down, one from which you cannot ever return...

Wendy said...

Mike: I will look out for them! Thanks.

Rainman: The Stones, Monkees, The Who -- Fantastic bands! They are nice to have, you can be all nostalgic one day...

Anonymous: Thanks for the link! A very scary but nice site.

EOH: I thought you might moan about that! I don't blame you. That sounds so negative. I love that you introduced me to "hunting and gathering."

Unknown said...

Me hunt! Me gather! Me make fire! Boogah-boogah-boogah!

Trundling Grunt said...

Mr Happy has an (empty) bottle of Chateau Condom in his room, but I think he'll notice if the label disappears.

Anonymous said...

Picked up a bottle last night. When it's done, I'll steam it off and send it to you.

missy said...

I shall be on the lookout for wine labels for you! x