20070319

Gimme your labels!

After doing a bit of research on wine labels around the world, I realised that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for one person to collect all these nice wine labels on their own. And since the response to my collecting wine labels habit has been fantastic, the sensible thing to do is enlist others to help me. So please send me your wine labels! I am not too picky. Send me any label that is unusual, interesting or just nice to have - like this one.



Although, you might have to send me the bottle as this is not really a label that you can peel off. This is the probably the most expensive bottle of wine in the world. It's the Chateau Lafitte 1787. A nice little bordeaux from the famous 600+ year old winery situated in the village of Pauillac, France. This bottle of wine was sold at auction at Christie's in London in 1985 for the low low price of 105 000 Pounds. It was apparently found in Thomas Jefferson's collection. Undrinkable I am sure - It's probably vinegar by now but what a nice collectible. So if you stumble across it, enjoy the wine but please send me the empty bottle.

This is the address you need to make a note of:

P.O. Box 34136
Rhodes Gift
7707
Cape Town
South Africa

Also, please write on the back of the label where, when and why you enjoyed (or not) the bottle. It will make it all the more meaningful. I will be sure post the nice labels on this blog so that everyone can see.

Thanks all! I wait with breathless anticipation for my first label....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

One down, many more to go.
I actually really liked what I picked out. I'll get to steaming and sending.

Unknown said...

That's a great idea. Maybe you could turn this into a PostSecret-type blog all about wine labels. Hmmm....

Trundling Grunt said...

Do you accept photos? Only I suspect Mrr Happy won't be amused if I steam his Chateau Condom label off.


That sounds much worse than it actually is.

Wendy said...

Thanks guys! Tell Mr. Happy that I will accept a photo from him. Of the wine label of course...

missy said...

Oh, cool... I have a few bottles on my recycling bin that I haven't thrown out. I'll try to steam the label out.

Where are you storing your collection? Will you put pictures up?

Good luck on your collection!

Wendy said...

Missy: I treat the labels like photo's and they go in an album. And of course I will post pics of the interesting lables I get.

Los said...

My wife and I are going to the Napa Valley in May - I'll see if I can't get you a few labels.

AristoNeeks said...

thats a wonderful idea!

im sure you can now adequately justify any amount of wine you have to consume!!

for posterity, of course!

cheers!!!

*if i find any interesting labels, you will be the first to know*